|People often ask what's the difference between a hot tub & a spa? These days not much. Originally hot tubs were essentially 1/2 a wine cask, with an external heater. As jets were added, the term spa began to be used. Today only a few companies are left making the original hot tubs, hence the terms are used interchangeably. In fact, the Internet has caused a move back to the term 'Hot Tub" since a search of "Spa" will more commonly result in Day Spas.
ISIS Salt System is now available with both
Bullfrog & Clearwater Spas!
ISIS Salt System (Automatic Bromine Generator)
Approximately 25 years ago the technology to produce chlorine from sodium chloride (table salt) for pool sanitation was developed. Today, close to 80% of new pools are "Salt System" pools. There's a good chance you either own one or know someone who does.
15 years ago Pioneer H2O Technologies adapted this process for the hot tub industry and introduced their signature product, the Genesis Salt System. In May 2010, Pioneer introduce their updated ISIS Salt System. Both use the same technology to convert Sodium Bromide, the salt, to Bromine. Bromine is prefered in hot tubs for 2 primary reasons.
- Bromine is a superior sanitizer, significantly better than chlorine.
- Chlorine also dissipates out of water at temperatures above 97 degrees, a temperarure lower than most people set their hot tubs.
We have found that people buy our ISIS Salt Systems for many reasons. Some include:
- Bromine is still the sanitizing agent, but since it is produced from the sodium bromide salt, no other chemicals are introduced to your spa.
- It is also a very pure form of bromine; hence the level of bromine needed is considerably lower than in other spas.
- If you have certain skin conditions you may find that your doctor will prescribe a Salt System spa. You may then find your spa purchase is exempt from Sales Tax.
Softer Water & Softer Skin
- Though the concentration is low, much lower than say sea water, adding Tru Blu! sodium bromide salt to your spa water gives it a softer feel. You will also find that your skin feels softer after you've used your spa.
- By the way, the salt concentration is so low that you cannot actually taste salt in your spa water!
- Spas generally require a water change every 3 - 4 months. This is because of the build-up of chemicals that you have introduced. Since you are introducing no chemicals to your spa with an ISIS Salt System, you will change your water once a year!
- You will put the sodium bromide salt (also called Tru Blu!) in your spa once for the year. It is continuously recycled to produce bromine.
- Eliminate regular shocking
- Reduced foaming and scum lines
- Since you change your water only once a year, depending on the size of your spa, you will save 1,000 - 2,000 gallons of water annually.
- Less water used. No Chemicals. Of Course!
How Does the ISIS Salt System Work?
It is actually rather simple. The "salt" you are most familiar with is sodium chloride (table salt) . As we noted above, the salt in a spa or hot tub is sodium bromide. Dissolving sodium bromide results in bromine ions in your spa water. Using a pair of graphite electrodes and a very small electrical current (less than 9 volts) the bromine ions are converted to pure bromine. This process is technically called electrolysis.
This is quite simple. Once you've filled your spa, you'll want to check the levels of Bromine, Alkalinity, pH, and Calcium as with all spas. We also recommend the use of an activated Charcoal filter when filling your spa to help remove any impurities.
- You simply add the salt to achieve a concentration of 1300 - 1500 ppm. This will require approx. 3 - 4 lbs. of salt.
- The salt will quickly dissolve in your spa water.
- The level of bromine in your water is controlled by Up & Down buttons with settings from 1 to 12.
- There is even a "Boost" button to add a temporary increase in Bromine should you plan a party or other more extended use of your spa.
- You add salt only once every year!
Complete Start-Up Instructions
Tru Blu! is Pioneer H2O's brand name for sodium bromide. It is very pure at 98% sodium bromide. Though you do not need to use the Tru Blu! brand, it is very important that you use pure sodium bromide. We carry Tru Blu! in stock at all times and often ship it to our more distant clients.
Important to know
Salt water systems (both in pools and spas) are negatively affected by the presence of phosphates. One potential source of phosphates is urine. For this reason we do not recommend our ISIS Salt System for families with small children.
With 6 Brands & Spas from $4,495 to $14,995, Premiere Hot Tubs is the Only Place to Go for the Best in Spas & Hot Tubs. From San Antonio to Waco, San Angelo to College Station, we are your Hot Tub Destination!
We always have 20 - 25 Hot Tubs on display in our Austin showroom; the largest selection of spas for you to view and test in Central Texas!
To see what our clients have to say about their salt system hot tubs, click on our Reviews tab & use our search function for Salt System Spas.
|"Easy going, straight forward people, obviously expert at what they do, and no sales pressure of any sort."
Nov. 28, 2011
see all of our reviews